What’s Right For Me? – Huntington, NY
Knowing Which Solution Will Help You See Lasting Results
When crooked teeth, overcrowding, large gaps, or a poorly aligned bite cause problems for your oral health and make feel less confident, it’s time to consider the idea of undergoing orthodontic treatment. Nowadays, braces come in all forms. From traditional metal brackets and wires to clear aligners, there is a solution out there available for you. At Huntington Orthodontics, our team is pleased to provide various treatment options to help you start seeing a healthier, more beautiful smile. If you are interested in learning which orthodontic solution is right for you, contact our office today to schedule an appointment with our very own Dr. Justyna Balicka.
Traditional Metal Braces
Traditional metal braces are the most common form of orthodontic treatment available. For decades, patients have achieved healthier, straighter, and properly aligned smiles using this bracket and wire method. Typically, children and teenagers are most commonly seen wearing these braces; however, adults can benefit from this form of treatment as well.
Using specially-designed metal brackets, your orthodontist will cement them to the front of your teeth before threaded an arch wire through the brackets. Making sure to bend the wire in various places to ensure your smile moves in the appropriate direction, you will be required to visit Dr. Balicka every few weeks to have the wire adjusted. This is necessary to maintain enough pressure on your teeth to keep them moving.
It is possible to customize your treatment if you wish to do so. For instance, if you are required to wear rubber bands at any point in your treatment, they come in a variety of colors. You may also opt for a more subtle look by choosing clear or white elastics.
Using the same process as traditional metal braces, clear/ceramic braces make it possible for self-conscious teenagers and adults to receive necessary orthodontic care but without the shining spotlight. Instead of relying on silver metal brackets and wires, your orthodontist will use clear or tooth-colored materials to give you a more subtle look throughout treatment.
You will also notice that with clear/ceramic braces, the brackets tend to lay flatter against your teeth, decreasing the chances that you’ll experience irritation to your soft oral tissues.
Although much less common than other forms of orthodontic treatment, lingual braces are extremely effective at realigning smiles. These unique braces are placed on the backsides of your teeth. Unless someone is extremely close, it is highly unlikely that they will ever know you are wearing any teeth-straightening solution at all.
You can expect to experience some slight changes in the way you speak in the beginning; however, over time, this will become less noticeable. Their discreet nature will prove far more beneficial, and you’ll achieve beautiful results in the end.
Using clear, plastic aligners, Invisalign is a great alternative for teens and adults who prefer to avoid metal brackets and wires altogether. Not only are they discreet, but they offer greater flexibility and produce results much quicker than traditional braces of any kind. They are to be worn 20-22 hours each day for 1-2 weeks before you are to switch out your current set for the next one in the series.
Invisalign Teen is designed for younger patients who are self-conscious about their appearance. This unique solution is similar to regular Invisalign but includes a blue color indicator that fades to white when it’s time to swap them out for the next set.
Whether you are faced with crowded teeth, minor gaps, or bite alignment issues, Invisalign is a great way to achieve results without the permanent metal fixtures.
In addition to the designated treatment options offered at Huntington Orthodontics, Dr. Balicka also provides additional, supplemental treatments that can be beneficial in generating faster results or even avoiding orthodontics in the future. These include:
- Phase I Pediatric Orthodontics: This involves using orthodontic appliances at home to minimize bad habits (i.e. thumb-sucking) and improve smiles. These are geared toward children who are being screened by the age of 7 for possible orthodontic treatment.
- Removable or Fixed Retainers: These are worn immediately following orthodontic treatment with braces. They are designed to hold teeth in place and keep them shifting back into their original position.
- Palatal Expanders: Should a younger patient’s upper jaw be too narrow, Dr. Balicka can use a palatal expander to create additional space as it develops. They are cemented to the back teeth (molars) and gradually move the palate over time.
- Thumb Crib: Also known as fixed palatal crib, this device is worn to make thumb-sucking more difficult and uncomfortable for your children who are having difficulty giving up the bad habit.
- AcceleDent: This FDA-cleared device generates gentle vibrations that help to speed up the movement of your teeth. When used for 20 minutes each day, you will notice a dramatic decline in your treatment timeline, giving you quicker results than you thought possible!